Subject: Re: R8 vs RTS -Chasseur d'Images
From: "Lucien_vD@compuserve.com" <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 05:16:22 -0400

Chris wrote:

<I have read this test in Amateur Photographer, but I think that
<professional Contax user (and lover :-)) cannot write full report about
new
<Leica.

And vice versa. :-))

<In '96 issue of Chasseur d'Images there is an article about Leica M3
<(I will find out what issue and let you know). In this article the autho=
<wrote (in translation): "Leica and Contax were always like dog and cat".=

<Therefore I suppose that Leica test performed by Contax user is
subjective.
<BTW, I am Leica (R5) and Contax (G1) user.

BTW, Chasseur d'Images seems to have a problem with both Leica & Contax.

They have distroyed for ever the reputation of the Contax G1 in french
speaking country,
because of the AF system.

And they always report about Leica cameras and lenses with the bias of th=
price.
Specially the "redacteur en chef" Guy-Michel Cogne, don't understand how =
it
is possible to buy a M6.
Which may be understandable, but I don't think that a Car magazine, who
will work with the same bias, will stay for long on the market. Even fren=
ch
car magazines don't do that and yet a car is a car, four wheels, a motor
etc... And a Morgan, a Porche and a Chevy are on sale because there is a
market for them, and my personal opinion is that it is not the role of th=
specialized journalist to make philosophical or social consideration abou=
the price of what they report about.

The ratio: Quality / Price is an other problem, and don't think that Leic=
is in a so bad position in that debate.

Hopefully for them, the mass of their readers are Canon, Minolta and Niko=
users, who tend to forgot for instance that a Nikon F5 is exactly at the
same price as a R8 (in Belgium), and that under the 300 mm, there is no
lens exactly comparable as far as built in quality and convenience (excep=
AF possibilities) is involved, and that's why the Nikon lenses are cheape=
r.
(I will not start a war about results) And Nikon will sell much more F5 !=
!
(that make is price even less understandable)

BTW I use the 3 systems (Leica R, M & Nikon AF). That put my in a weaker
position to discuss price, but give me some experience. =

Have a nice day!! (I hope that Oddmund is not on the list for the moment!=
)

Lucien
BELGIUM