Subject: Re: R8 Construction
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:22:18 -0700

On  6 Jun 97,  ted grant wrote:

<snip>

> And I agree with you about my comments on the R8. I tend to be a tad
> defensive regarding equipment I use and have excellent service from
> throughout the damdest conditions possible.

A parochial attitude toward our own is one of the most understandable
attitudes of Homo sapiens. Understandable and normal. I wasn't even
arguing with your post, just assuming the mantle of the loyal
opposition.

The whole reason that I brought up the // situation of the M6 v. M3,
was to point out that sometimes a build like the proverbial tank is
not necessarily an indicator of reliability and longevity.

Here's where I"ll maybe get Marc going, but I often use automobiles
as an example. I'll take an auto of today, quick as a wink, over
those of yesteryear, if reliable transportation is my aim. The
engineering evolution and the use of new materials and construction
techniques has produced autos that require little other than fuel,
frequent lube, oil and filter changes to keep them going fast and
quiet. <<Disclaimer>> There *are* exceptions to every rule, even when
it's Beamon's rule! Marc's old Audi may be one of them. Whew!

Zum beispiel, Don may well be correct in that the innards of the R8
don't appear as robust as its predecessors. This may or may not mean
less reliability and longevity, only time will tell.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
    Communist (n): one who has given up all hope
    of becoming a Capitalist.