Subject: Getting old Leicas repaired
From: "Jon Mitchell <jmitch@panama.phoenix.net>" <jmitch@panama.phoenix.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:17:57 +0000

Hola LUGers,

I recently had the good fortune to come across a used Leica IIIb body
with a 50mm f2 Summitar (original) for $150!

The camera is basically in good condition, but has a few minor things
which need repairing. I am based down here in Panama City and don't
have much confidence in the local technicians to service the camera
(mainly due to the rarity of Leicas down here.

I've listed the problems the camera has below. I would be extremely
grateful if anyone could recommend a good repair house in the US, who
would not charge the earth to service my new darling. A rough idea of
what I would have to pay for the repair would also be useful.

Problems with Jon's Leica IIIb:-
i. winder mechanism appears jammed/stiff
ii. shutter release does not fire, but the speed dial turns a bit when
it is "fired" iii. glass covering the left-hand-sided focusing finder
is chipped and needs to be replaced. iv. leather in terrible condition
and in need of replacement v. 5cm Summitar has slight mold on back of
front element and apeture marks are a bit out of alignment. vi.
turnscrew which releases the baseplate needs new screws vii. otherwise
in very good condition except for its a bit dirty.

Any advise/contacts would be welcome.

cheers - Jon Mitchell

Website:  <http://www.panama.c-com.net/~jmitch>