Subject: Re: Performance of 2x Extender with R50/2.0
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 09:12:17 -0700

At 06:52 AM 6/4/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have noticed that many of you own and use the Leica 2x Extender.
>I am contemplating purchasing one to use with my 50/2.0, as part of a
>lightweight travel kit.  Aside of the loss of 2 stops, how well does this
>combination perform in contrast to a fixed focal tele, such as the 90/2.0
>or 90/2.8.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Vince Lamberti

I have, and occasionally use, a 1.4x and a 2x APO Extender. I find I use
them only on my long lenses because I have lenses covering all of the other
stuff. I use the 2x with my 350 Telyt to get 700mm. In this application it
works great. Sharpness does not seem to be degraded at all. When traveling
light, and don't have my 350, I use it with either a 180 2.8 or a 70-180
2.8 (at 180) to get 360mm. I also occasionally use the 1.4x extender with
my 180 2.8 to get a 250mm f/4. One thing I have found is that the
performance seems to be exemplary when the lens is stopped down one or two
stops. This means you need a very still subject (landscape, no wind) or
very fast film. I use Velvia almost exclusively but push Provia to 200 when
using the 2x extender in less than static situations. Overall I am very
pleased with the performance of the APO extenders.

Jim