Subject: Re: LENS FOR AVAILABLE LIGHT
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 18:46:23 -0700

Kai Ling OH wrote:

> I  need  to  do  available  light photography and yet has limited budget to
> invest  in 50/1 Noctilux. Is there any good old wide aperture lens which is
> suitable for this purpose and is not prone to flair?

There are very few faster than 1.4 lenses available for Leica.

The 1.1 Nikkors,  Zunows, and 1.2 Fuji  are very expensive and
collectible, and poor in image quality compared to a modern Noctilux.

The only low cost alternative I believe is the 1.2 Canon in LTM.  Just
put a bayonet adapter on it.  Its not a great performer, but you have
that speed at a fraction of the cost.

If you can go to 1.4, the Canon 50/1.4 is relatively low price and will
give much better performance.  It compares to the Summilux and is
probably the best 50/1.4 lens in LTM.

The 50/1.5 Sonnar or Russian version can also be quite good.

Stephen Gandy