Subject: Re: Covering up the chrome
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 19:25:15 -0300

Gaffers tape...... a love-hate relationship

There was a mention on here to use Gaffer's Tape on Leicas. This is a
brand name tape made by Lowell, the movie light people.

I suggest not.

I use the tape for a variety of purposes and have for 3 decades I think.
It is fabulous at times.... for tacking up lights, wires, pictures,
scrims, etc on walls that you do not wish to destroy.

But do not for a moment think that it is non-destructive. I have it on
the hot-shoes of a variety of cameras, on Leica viewfinders (external),
and on all my Halliburton suitcases. After a while it dries out and
makes a total mess. I use it to hold the battery compartment on a CLE
together so the batteries do not fall out, and on the cable compartments
on Vivitar 283s.....

I love the material.

But if you leave it on a Leica for a long time, you will have one
helleva time getting it off. Just be aware that nothing is perfect.

Fred Ward