Subject: Re: Noncoated filter
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:20:21 -0700

At 10:28 PM 6/11/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I yesterday bought a circular polarization filter
>(Hama No. 725) and now I see that it is completely
>uncoated. Is it less important for a filter to
>be coated than for a lens? If not: why do they sell
>such things at all? Should I bring it back to the
>dealer?
>
>Thanks for all answers,
>
>Rainer Mueller, Munich, Germany

Take it back. It will be the first surface to greet the incoming light
rays. If it's uncoated, a lot of scattering, reflecting, and other ugly
phenomenon will take place. It will render your wonderful Leica lens
coatings useless. Buy Leica, B+W, or Heliopan filters for normal filters.
For special effects, buy the best you can get (Tiffen glass, Singh-Ray, etc.)

Jim