Subject: Re: Filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:48:39 -0700

At 01:17 AM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have thoughts about the relative merits of the Leica,B+W and
>Heliopan circ. polarizers? for use with a 100 APO-Macro?
>
>thanks,
>
>chip

Yes... as I've stated earlier, and much earlier, the very best filter you
can buy is sometimes not good enough. All of the filters you mentioned are
first rate. I use a Leica filter for my 100 APO-Macro only because I
already had it. I have chosen Leica filters in the past because I figure
they have been tested for use with Leica lenses. It's possible that they
are manufactured by either Heliopan or B+W. Leica recommends B+W for
filters that they don't have. The B+W Multicoated Circular Polarizer is
probably one of the best available. The B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer is
probably the best polarizer optically. Of the two, if I were buying again,
I would choose the Kaesemann for use with the 100 APO lens. As I said...
the very best filter sometimes is not good enough.

Jim