Subject: Re: BAS lens tests.
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 00:23:47 +0100

>To tell it in brief: BAS is the king of lens testing in europe, forget about
>the rest. However - he had the problem to be forced to show differences where
>no diferrences are. The difference between any major brand prime lens and a
>Leica lens nowadays is pretty small. I know his lens test system a littel bit
>and ist seems very reasonable to me.
Well I feel compelled to react to this statement. The BAS tests are not
considered as serious reports by many knowledgable people. The testing
method (using a TV screen as a substitute for an optical measuring device
is quite crude). Quite a few optical experts (among others at Zeiss and
Leica) keep quite a distance to his writings and conclusions. If he is
unable to show significant differences, then his testing method is quite
wrong and/or not focused to the important optical parameters.
I came eye to eye with the BAS test when he concluded that the Summarit
and the Summilux were quite similar in performance where I saw in actual
picture taking and measuring (on the Leica optical bench) dramatic
differences.
Erwin Puts