Subject: Re: BAS lens tests.
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:27:59 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 16.06.97  07:46:51, schreiben Sie:

<< Why is the king of lens testing in Europe "forced" to show differences
where
 no differences are? >>

Because readers in germany are crazy about figures. They love to say "Ooh, I
own a lens which is rated 9.8..."

<< I would guess that a serious tester tests and publishes the results he
finds, nothing more, nothing less.>>

He does. But in order to provide interesting reading stuff, the results
sometime are presented a litte bit over-dramatized. If you think about it
seriously, a difference of 0.2 between lenses which are rated above 9 is
totally insignificant.

<<Also, given the constant changes in the BAS lens testing methods over the
years, are the results of his tests comparable over time?>>

No, they are not. Lenses overall have become better and 10.0 today is harder
to get than 20 years before.

<<How did you rate his comparison between Cantax G and Leica M glass?>>

He said that the G-lenses were just slightly worse than the M-lenses, but all
lenses were rated five stars (super). I agree with him. The difference is
hardly visible at usual pics. It was the camera that bothered me (and the
poor choice of G-lenses)

Frank