Subject: Leica News
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:24:41 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I attended a Leica camera clinic at the Camera Shop this past Saturday in
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.  Nice method to have your shutter speeds checked,
body and lens cleaned and the battery replaced in your camera - all gratis
from Leica.

I was able to see the R8 for the first time.  Bigger than expected but it
balances well with the brightest viewfinder I've ever seen.  Putting the
180mm Summicron (yes f 2.0) was like looking through a hand held canon.

I bought a new 90mm Summicron for my M6.  Great lens.  I'll let you know
how the slides turn out next week.

The learned the following from Niels Thorsen from Leica:

The Leica enlarger (focomat) has been discontinued.  Leica will still
service them for some time to come.  No need to worry about service.

I got a new brochure on the 35mm Summicron Aspheric lens.  The lens is just
a little bit longer than the current model.  It is expected out this Fall
and will be about $500 more than the current non-aspheric verson.  Nice
brochure.

For those of us who have the earliest M6 bodies, the meter sensitivity has
been improved one stop.  Leica will replace it with the newer version for
$300 US.  All newer M6's have the newer mosre sensitive meter.

Saw the new 24mm Aspheric Elmarit M lens.  Nice lens. Viewing the front of
the lens looks a dark green.  New experience for wide angle Leica M lenses.

I'm sure there was more but I'm anxiously awaiting the new 35mm aspheric
Summicron.

Best regards,

Richard Clompus, OD