Subject: digital
From: "Douglas McLernon" <dmcl@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:21:53 +0100

Douglas McLernon
Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
E-mail - Economic<Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
Personal <dmcl@iol.ie>

 I agree with Marc. Digital imaging has a long way to go before it replac=
es
film. I do believe however that the way to go is photographic film scanni=
ng
 printed by the new technology. I'm lucky enough to have access to about
=A330,000 worth of scanner - laser colour printer (bought for a micro bio=
logy
project with European funds -- and the guy goes to Cambridge -so nobody
else uses it. Colour neg. scans better than transparencies. Unfortunately=
do quite a bit of MF work and the scanner only takes 35mm.=20

Digital cameras/backs will take over where reproduction quality required =
is
not high, (e.g. newspapers, small catalogue photos, flyers and estate
agent's brochures..) Newspapers are already sending photos via modems and
laptops through a cell phone and it is possible to come out of a match an=
buy an edition of a paper with a photo from the game.

I also agree that if the move is to small snapshot digital printers and n=
on
professional/hobbyist cameras, as in the growth of the digital point and
shoots, the consumer market will take off at the expense of further film
and chemistry changes. APS is halfway there with the TV viewer and the Fu=
ji
printer.

Doug