Subject: Re: Basement Kodachrome... or Film Forever!
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 97 16:37:43 -0400

>The ideal would be the E-6 emulsions built to last 100-300 years. The
>kids out there who cannot think beyond Friday night may think that
>fading in 50 years is no problem. But I can tell you that almost ALL my
>early work in the 1950s and 1960s that was not shot for NGS on
>Kodachrome is severely damaged or totally worthless. The early E160, the
>Anscochromes, the original Ektachromes are almost all huge problems for
>me. And this is in one working lifetime, not over a century.

Kodachrome images will last longer than E6 images as long as the
Kodachrome slides are kept in darkness. Modern E6 resists fading better
in light. If your slides spend a lot of time being projected or sitting
on light tables, E6 will last longer. The modern E6 films are much, much
more permenant than they used to be, and there is no comparison between
E6 and E4 and older processes.

If you have slides that you want to keep forever, not matter what kind of
film they are on, keep them in a feezer.

- - Paul