Subject: Seeing everything new
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:29:05 -0600 (MDT)

I've done it. I've joined the duffers club. I am old.

Yesterday a man with a diploma told me I needed eyeglasses. I swallowed hard
and agreed. Today I picked up a new pair which were ground to my needs, and
I must say I am amazed!

There are things in my yard that I have never seen before. Leaves on trees,
blades of grass, the flowers on my prized lavendula angustifolia - they all
jump out in a way that I can truly say I have never seen before. I am
visually born again. Hell, even television looks better.

I took my wife on a drive through the farms that I have photographed for the
last three years. Actually, she took me, as she did the driving. I noticed
things that I had passed over dozens of times before because they had seemed
dull and not very interesting. Today they were sharp and saturated. The
textures were stunning. All new.

The difference seems to be in the sharpness of lines, in the seperation of
colors. This has made me think about cameras and sharpness. For me, when I
see a picture that really grabs me, it is almost always in the way detail is
rendered. Regardless of the degree of contrast in the scene, when I am able
to pick out every last bit of seperation in the hues it gets me.

I cannot say wether my new super human vision will make my pictures better.
I can only say that I am excited about seeing again.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds at
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm