Subject: Re: Historic change for Leica? (2)
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 97 21:16:41 +0100

As usual I agree with Gerard. To add some more figures, consider =
this.The growth in the period 96/97 against the period 95/96 ( the =
fiscal year ends 1 april) for the M has been 9%, for the R: 51%, but =
for the projectors 22% and the binoculars and spectives 28%. As the =
growth figures for the camera systems include the lenses it is not =
quite clear how much the cameras as such contributed. So in fact the =
unspectactular projectors and binoculars had a much  higher growth =
figure than the M. The M still is the biggest single profit maker. At =
28.6% it is however down from 29,2%. The R grew from 17,8% to 24,4%. =
But how much of this can be attributed to the lenses?
We know that at least 5000 units of the R8 have been produced, with =
3000 more in the pipeline. Production for the R8 at the moment is =
about 1300 units/month. This is very positive, given the fact that =
the Nikon F5 is rumoured as being produced at a rate of =B14000/month.
These figures bring into perspective also some speculations about =
forthcoming models. Given the slender production capabilities, what =
should we make from a production line comprising the M6, M6 wide, M6 =
tele, M6 Electronc, M6 High Point, R6.2, R8, R8.2 and R9. If these =
options will be realised then we can expect a delivery rate of a few =
hundreds/month per model. And waiting lists of at least half a year.
BTW the R7 is officially buried.
Erwin Puts