Subject: funny corners, the sequel...
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:41:13 +0300 (EET DST)

A couple of weeks ago I asked about funny corners in my negs. Little
extension symmetrically in the bottom corners (top when the film
is in the camera). Harold Gess (thanks!) confirmed that this is
indeed a feature, not a bug. My camera was in repair and today when
I visited the shop I checked a M4 body & saw the reason. The horizontal
groove just under the top film rails lets some light seep outside the
"official" frame. Actually with 21mm lens I think it will leak quite
a bit as the light hits the emulsion then quite obliquely. Is this
groove in M6 etc. and what is it for? The mechanic thought it might
be just something left from the machining the body without any
further purpose. Strange. None of my other cameras has such grooves.

Not that this matters so much but I find it intriguing that you can
identify not only the lens but the camera from a full frame print.

Regards,

Kari Eloranta