Subject: Re: B&W RC Paper Question
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:25:16 -0600

At 09:40 AM 02/07/97 +0200, you wrote:
>> As a general rule of thumb with RC papers, use a selenium toner if you are
>> interested in archival permanence.  Alternatively, treat them with Agfa
>> Sistan.
>
>I've printed a lot on ILFORD RC MultigradeIV and only recently I've
>discovered some problems. Some prints made with the Pearl version, which
>have been exposed to light without any protection (glass), for one year
>only, appear as they were toned (brown). The same effect is not present on
>print with glossly surface.
>
>I do not think it is due to an improper washing, I guess that in that case
>the white parts would become yellow. In my case the white is still white but
>the grey has become brown.
>
>Any other experienced that? Selenium toning could avoid that effect?

Ilford recalled a lot of MultigradeIV that was not up to quality, about at
the same time that you made that print.  It might be that the paper itself
was from some of the substandard batches that they had manufactured.
Likely, if the paper quality was the problem, selenium toning wouldn't have
helped.  Even in direct sunlight, I doubt that the print would have shown a
brown-yellow color shift like you described, if the paper was OK.

- -GH