Subject: Re: Telyt-R 400/6.8
From: Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 14:08:32 -0500

seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com wrote:

>      Hi Patrick,
>
>       I tried it on my SL and R4 last night in success.  I thought it
>      should have the same kind of mount as the other R lenses.  The lens
>      was lighter than I thought.  I think I really like it if the glass
>      quality is excellent enough.
>
>      Thanks,
>      David

The 400mm 6.8R lens has an excellent optic that is comprised of 2
achromat elements cemented together.  According the Leitz, both the
560mm and 400mm lenses are deliberately designed not to produce a flat
field.  Around the edges of the frame there is a slight bias toward the
foreground.  This is particularly useful in nature photography where the
lens will render a sharp animal and with the lens' bias, the foreground
will morely likely be in focus than with a conventional flat field lens.

When I travel, I carry both the 400 and 560 heads and use the rear tube
interchangably.

I truly like the slide focusing of the lenses.  It is extremely fast and
accurate - particularly for handheld shots with a shoulder support.

The 560 lens is front heavy when mounted on a tripod.  Through Really
Right Stuff in California, I purchased an adapter plate that permits the
lens to be centered on an Arca-Swiss head, thus minimizing the
possibility of a catastrophe in the heat of a shoot.

Finally, to clean the glass in both the 400 and 506 heads, simply
unscrew it from the front of the lens.  Initially, I hesitated to do
this but a Leica representative demonstrated the procedure and it is
incredibly simple.

Bill Christensen