Subject: marc riboud
From: "Ting F. Lee" <javalee@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 97 21:57:16 UT

Hi all,  my first posting.
Though I share  with u my experience with Marc Riboud..

He was doing a 2 day workshop at ICP in NY which coincided with his 2 openings
here.
He uses a very battered M6, with a even more battered 35 1.4 (rim dented,
glass scratched, smutches, etc).  He says he uses mostly a 50 and the 45.  He
doesn't put too much importance in the equipment.. He also uses disposable
cameras and had/has a pentax slr.
He does not print.  He also shoot color, mostly for commercial work.

I kinda got the impression that composition to him is more important than
content...
Marc introduced us to a Chinese photographer whom he discovered while in
China. His name is Wu Jialin.  He also is very strong compositionally.
He paid me a few complements which gave me support and inspiration at a time
in life when I'm having much self doubt.  While critiquing work we bought in,
my prints was the only set he  separated into 3 piles, A B and C (his way of
editing).  The next day upon entering the room he saw me and said 'I
remembered your work'.  At the end of the day he signed books and in my book
(cheapest paperback the store sold) he wrote 'For Ting, to a photographer from
another one'.  He then shook my hand and said ' show me your work again
sometime'.