Subject: Re: 180mm
From: jay coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 11:22:25 -0400

>>Does anyone in the group have knowledge of a 180mm f/3.4 that is marked
Elcan-R?  Same appears to be an Apo-Telyt and has all three cams, takes
series 7.5 filters, and carries serial number 303-xxxx.
Many thanks for any help,<<

I do not have any specific knowledge of such a lens (I have not seen
one) but the 180 3.4 APO was developed under a military contarct and the
military version of the lens would be called an Elcan.  I believe there
may be picture of such a prototype in Jim Lager's book on lenses (Vol.
II of his latest series).  Because of the serial number and the three
cams it does not sound to me like yours is a prototype but rather a
production lens slated for military use.  It is unusual and perhaps
somewhat valuable.

I hope this is helpful.

Jay Coleman