Subject: Re: Off topic -- good loupe
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 97 12:49:00 -0400

>2) My bias on a good loupe is a Schneider 4x or their new 6x Aspheric. Any
>experiences/other advice (don't tell me--there's a great old Leica loupe,
>the "LOOPY", discontinued in 1963, that I might still find used at a camera
>show and you've never seen anything as good so I should go hunt one down)?

Charlie,

The best loupe I've ever used is a 5x loupe from a company called Emo,
located in the little town of Wetzlar. Rather than being a little lens
sitting in the top of a funnel or tube, as most loupes are, it is about
the size and weight of a 50mm Summicron M, with smooth black metal sides.
There is a glass element just inside the mouth of it on the bottom (the
opposite end from the eyepiece). Because there is no transparent skirt
under it, it only works on negs or transparencies (since there is no
skirt under it that light can shine through, the item being viewed must
be lit from behind).

It came with a little snap-on diffuser that goes in front of it so that
it can be used as a viewer without a light table (although I normally use
it on a light table). The diffuser is cleverly designed with a slot for
sleeved 35mm film, so that you can pull it through, or you can put a
little carrier into the slot which takes un-sleeved film. The carrier has
little guides in it so that you can pull a strip of film through without
scratching. It will also accept mounted slides if you slide them in
diagonally.

It adjusts 2 diopters in either direction. It also has a neck strap (very
handy when looking at a lot of slides and moving from table to table) and
a leather case.

I bought it new for about $125 in about 1984-5, someplace in Boston. It
is one of the most valued and most-used items I have.

This loupe has the best optical quality of any that I have used. I've
never used the Schnieder loupes. Another one you might look at would be
the new Zeiss loupes, which I've seen advertised lately.

- - Paul