Subject: Re: Buying used M lenses advises
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:07:38 -0400

KEH is an absolutely first rate business to deal with. The quality ratings
are VERY conservative, especially on Leica gear. I have ordered E+ from
them that most would have called Mint or mint-. I have bought bgn that is
better than many others have called Excellent. I have NEVER been
disappointed by the condition of items purchased from them.

If I were bying lenses from the list you posted I personally would choose:

>c.) 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit M Blk (can) (39) Can 39 Excellent 525.00
>b.) 50/2 Summicron M blk (can) 39 excellent  $465
and none of the wides.

Actually I would try to find a DR Summicron 50 and would settle only for a
35 Summicron.

Remember these would me MY choices and others would choose differently.

Neither of the 35 Summarons, IMHO, match the Summicron for optical quality.
The 40 Rokker is a good lens and was designed specifically for use on the
CL, which has the correct lines in the finder. The M6 does not have 40
lines and to my knowledge there is no finder for it.

There is no difference between Canadian and German lenes of the same
design. Between newer and older formulas there are differences but they are
small. IMHO the newer formulas are not ALWAYS better.

Cheers!

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>