Subject: Re: Incident Meters and R8 metering
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Jul 97 10:34:12 EDT

Donal wrote:

<<<<Monday I start shooting white boats on blue water (yes, with guys and
gals in swimsuits>>>>>>>

Donal,
If I let you play with my R8 will you let me come watch the gals in swim suits?
:) :)   (maybe play with them?" (sly grin) :)

One thing that is quickly apparent between Multi-pattern (matrix) and Intregal
(center weighted) that helps make for a quick decision on which to use. If your
personal preference is towards a slightly richer more saturated transparency,
then shoot everything on the Intregal. However  the opposite is for a slightly
"hotter" "lighter" slide, then go Multi-pattern.

But in each case the resulting exposures are professionally acceptable.

My personal preference has always been towards extra saturation due primarily to
magazine assignments and the art directors/photo editors I shot for. So if you
like them a little darker, go Intregal, if you like them slightly lighter, go
Multi-pattern.

And the spot meter is another thing, Bam in your face right on the mark, if you
are shooting light objects surrounded by completely dark.

I in my "great wisdom" (ya right) :) shot a small white punt tied up in a grove
of deep green overhanging trees and boat reflected in the water. Beautiful
scene. Also a very light rain falling.

So I shoot Multi-patteren and Intregal, figuring one of them will  be ok. Ya
right!

Sandy my assistant says, "Hey shoot one spot meter on the boat and let
everything drop away from there!"  Me, "Naw the Intregal will be perfect!"  You
know,  "Always listen to your assistant!" particularly when you have one as good
as I have.

So I didn't do what she suggested and she was right. Both metering systems gave
marginally acceptable slides, but the spot metered one was perfect. (She took
the camera and shot a couple):) Guess who was right? Damn! it was perfect for
any ones eyes. :)   I should have known better for the mass of deep green and
lonely white boat.

The metering system is perfect, but it's even more perfect "if the photographer
operates it properly"!  Just like anything else photographic, it is the driver
who makes the camera look like it is flawless. :)

Have a good shoot with the gals and guys in swim suits! :)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant