Subject: R8
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:47:32 CDT

(I tried to send this directly to Thomas but I must have had the address
wrong as it came back undelivered - so I have re-directed it to the LUG
and hope that Thomas sees it - sorry)

Thomas,

OK already.  You and Ted are really starting to get to me.  I keep
throwing out the R8 brochure in the trash and then ret retreiving it!!

I have had all the R cameras, except the R8.  Presently I own several M6s
and lenses.  One of the things I like about what I am hearing about the
R8 is the metering system, which apparantly is a winner.  The other is
what you said about lowlight photos with the R8.  Can you really take
them down at the same low speeds as the M??? I have taken M pics at 1/4
and 1/8 that usually come out pretty good (hand held)  Trying the R7 I
used to have I couldn't get much better than 1/30, sometimes 1/15.

I have the 35/1.4 ASPH which I love to use and is one reason I have been
staying with the Ms.  I don't know if I want to go to the 35/1.4 - R
which weighs about 25 oz.  If I were to go to the 35/2.0 - R I lose a
stop and since I usually shot K64 I am interested in what you said about
the R8 in this regard.

BTW what lenses do you have??

Thanks for any info

Dick