Subject: Re: Garage sale
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:35:13 -0700

Bert Keuken wrote:<b.k@pi.net>

> Not quite a garage sale, but at work I once saw an enlarger standing on
> a shelf. It turned out to be someone's heirloom. Since he wasn't into
> photography he was desperatly trying to get rid of it. He wanted Hfl
> 100,- for it (about $50). Upon closer examination I discovered the
> enlarger was a Leitz Valoy II including 4.5/5 cm Focotar lens. With it
> was also a Leitz instruction booklet and an enlarging easel. In the
> Netherlands this enlarger sells for approx. 5 to 6 times the amount I
> payed for it, as I later found out.

Funny coincidence, Bert. I responded to my local want ad for Leica
equipment and bought a Focomat 1a with Varob lens for $50 about two years
ago. He needed the garage space that it was taking up.  And indeed, I sold
it a few months ago for $225 - Not quite 5 to 6 times the $50, but then, a
Varob is not a Focotar either.

I would love to find a cheap Valoy to use as a copy stand.

Gary Todoroff
Eureka, CA