Subject: Re: R8 metering (was: incident metering)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:59:51 +0200

At 16:27 +0000 13-07-1997, Elliot M. Puritz, MD wrote:

>Pascal:  I recently received my new R8...some questions about the
>metering.  In the situations that you cite, would the spot or central
>weighting feature of the R8 meter system have solved the question of
>under and over exposure that you noted?
>
>Elliot

Yes, it surely would have been "better" if I had carefully measured light
with the spotmeter. But then of course, you have to be more expert, and you
can not use the camera as an elaborate P&S camera.

I am not so sure it would have been different with center-weighted
metering, because the main topics were off-centered. The dark background
would have occupied too much of the picture anyway, I think. But as a
general rule, Ted is right:
- - if you want slightly "lighter" pictures, use matrix-metering
- - if you want more saturated pictures, use center-weighted

and I would like to add to this:
- - if you want to be expert, use spot metering (but then again, why did we
buy that R8 for anyway?).

Greetings,

Pascal

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook