Subject: Re: Effect of fungus
From: Tomoyuki Kumagai <kumagai@jalapeno.sun-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:56:58 +0900

From: seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com
Subject: Effect of fungus
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 97 14:22:23 PST

>      Hi,

Hi David,

>       I just wonder how a developing spot of fungus in a lens affect the
>      image quality?  Is it critical to clean the lens?
I have a SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5 with almost-unnoticable fungus.(That I needed
to look REALLY CAREFULLY into the lens to find it...) I asked Pentax to remove
it. They saw the lens and said, "Well, it would not affect the picture at all,
and if you want us to clean it, we have to open the thing [= may affect the
lens performance]. It's better to leave it how it is." So it really depends on
how bad it is and if it is worth facing danger of lessing the lens performance.

>      Also does it keep growing once it started or can it be prevented if it
>      is kept in dry environment?

I keep my lens in the box with some keep-it-dry bags (those tea-bag like ones).
It's been 3 years, but fungus does not seem growing. So I think it would not
grow as long as I keep doing this.

I wish this post may help you.

Tom