Subject: Re: New R8
From: "Elliot M. Puritz, MD" <drpuritz@li.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:46:54 +0000

Richard:

Well, mazel tov ( I don't know if you know what that means...many ethnic
expressions become adopted by all Americans...viz., caio,etc.  In this case,
yiddish for literally being under a good star, or in this context, way to go
and lots of luck!)  I'm sure you thought about your purchase alot, and then,
wham bam, put it in the can...you bought it.  Let me know how you do.

I am somewhat younger then you, about 57.  Several years ago, my wife of
31 years died after a protracted illness.  Very difficult to watch, and quite
sad actually.  But, miracles occur, and shortly after Ellen's death, Baerbel
walked into my life.  She had lost her husband of 32 years shortly before
Ellen died...and the rest is history.  In addition to my 2 children ( one is an
actress on Broadway, the other a financial guru at Wellingotn Financial
Management in Boston), I found myself with 3 other grown children...one
who is a VP at a major  insurance agency in Florida, one who is a TV
producer, and lo and behold, one who is an Assistant DA here in Suffolk
County , Long Island, NY.  Interesting that I was in academic medicine for a
while...at Chapel Hill.  Found that my interests were with people, not in the
lab, and am in private practice for almost 25 years.  With Ellen's death,
and my new marriage, began to question all the usual things, and am now
thinking seriously about retirement at an earlier age then I would have
expected...perhaps some of the urge comes from the major changes in
patient relationships that the HMO mania has engendered.  Hard to make the
final break though.  Really sometimes wonder what it is like not to have an
office to go to, and will definitly be making less money then I would be if I
continued to practice.  Perhaps part time practice is the answer for
several more years.  I do have many other interests...enjoy travel to
Europe ( Baerbel is German, and I have many new friends in Hamburg,
Germany ), music both in performance and listening, and literature of all
types.  Fantasize about learning Latin, and reading about the Punic Wars in
the original.  And, perhaps I really can learn to hit a perfect 5 iron.  But,
photography....now that is a major love.  As you were active in picture
taking at a young age, so was I, taking and developing pictures before that
age of 10.  My career intervened, and it wasn't until about 10 years ago
when I purchased a slightly used M6 outfit from a pilot...complete with the
summicron 35, and 90, that I got interested again.  Have added the 21, 135
2.8, and 1.4, 35mm.  Still dreaming about the new ASPH lenses, but, there
is a limit!  If I continue to work, will probably add a Noctilux, and start
with those new ASPH over the next few years.  Then, if I really like the
R8, might consider the 19mm.  Eventually, when I move to Florida ( have
a home on a golf course in Palm Coast, between Daytona where one of my
step children lives, and St. Augustine ) would consider building another
dark room.  As I think about all this equpment Richard, I begin to suspect
that the only reason to work is to buy more Leica lenses!

At any rate, am more active in picture taking again, and look forward to
sharing lots of my experiences with you over the next few years.  I haven't
had the brushes with immortality that you have survived.  I am sure that
such " adventures " puts everything into firm perspective.  It sounds that
you have made the absolutely correct decision.  You have your health, a
wonderful wife, lots of friends...and that brand new R8!

Speak to you soon, and do you ever visit New York City?

All the best,

Elliot