Subject: Re: Films, Photos and History
From: ROB HEYMAN <rheyman@cynergy.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 05:21:49 +1000

Harrison McClary wrote:

>   The TV photographers of old had to understand
> light, color, and film.  This in my opinon is what makes a
> photographer,
> today all they do is hit white ballance, and most of don't even do
> that
> well, and shoot on automatic (Hence the reason I REFUSE to call them
> photographers).  From what I have been told shooting on full automatic
> is
> how to use these digital cameras.  So I am guessing that the news
> photographers of the future will have no real understanding of film,
> light
> ect as those of use who came up shooting chrome on deadline did.  I
> already
> see this to some extent from those who have come up shooting color
> neg,
> never having to worry about the correct color on a color slide,
> perfect
> exposure ect.

The "Vidiots" are usually just amateurs with expensive toys which they
don't own themselves. They don't often respect either their equipment or
their subjects, so why would they bother to put any work into mundane
things like good exposure, etc.

"If the Boss don't supply it, (training) we don't need it!!" seems to be
part of the Vidiot idiom.

There are some notable exceptions, but as usual the cream rises to the
top.

Rob