Subject: Re: Films, Photos and History
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 23:40:23 -0000

Rob Heyman wrote:

>The "Vidiots" are usually just amateurs with expensive toys which they
>don't own themselves. They don't often respect either their equipment or
>their subjects, so why would they bother to put any work into mundane
>things like good exposure, etc.
>
>"If the Boss don't supply it, (training) we don't need it!!" seems to be
>part of the Vidiot idiom.
>
>There are some notable exceptions, but as usual the cream rises to the
>top.

As a TV Photographer myself I have to object to some of the =
invectives! Nevertheless I tend to agree with the frightening =
conclusion that tomorrow=B4s Video Photographers won=B4t have the =
same understandings for the Art of Photography as their older =
colleagues were taught in various photography- and film schools.

When I started in the business we really didn=B4t have to worry at =
all about the colors. Mainly because we didn=B4t yet have color TV! =
At that time we shot the news on 16mm B&W negative film.

When color television was introduced we used 16mm reversal =
film(Ektachrome), and suddenly correct exposure became really =
important.

In those days us film photographers could enjoy the same respect and =
maybe admiration from our bosses - and the public - as todays still =
photographers hopefully get.

However, with the introduction of video the recruitment of =
photographers changed. Instead of hiring film school students the =
stations prefered to promote already employed studio cameramen to =
news photographers! And as you know studio cameramen don=B4t have to =
worry about much more than keeping focus. White balance and exposure =
is handled by people in the control room. Even the choice of pictures =
and the framing is supervised by the director via the intercom. Most =
of the time the cameramen don=B4t even have to carry the camera. They =
just push it around on a dolly!

Well, you can imagine how lost those guys are when they one day find =
themselves out in the city wilderness with the heavy camera on their =
shoulder - and without headphones. Of course they love everything =
automatic that come with the new digital cameras!!

Concerning their professional behavior it=B4s up to us old timers to =
teach them. Ted has already presented a few ideas how to get them =
back in line. And I agree with most of those. I could even teach you =
a few more dirty tricks that have never failed me! The exception is =
causing permanent damage to their gear. Let=B4s always respect the =
hardware - even video cameras!

Claes Bjerner