Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:14:34 CDT

Charlie,

>might, but in the broader world of SLR photography I don't see that
>it's
>superior to other bodies out there. And yes, I've shot with one for an
>evening.

Boy are you dumb,  I can't listen to you any more about that - If I start
listening to you I may feel more quilty than I do about spending all the
money on the R8!! I was a total Nikon user and had F, F2AS, F3, 8008,
8008s and two F4s and a N 90s, using Leica from about the time I had the
8008.

I started to go sour on Nikon with the F4s and N90s.  Actually I really
liked the 8008 and 8008s - wich I could have put Leica lenses on them.  I
don't like the buttons, luminescent (sp - I too tired to look it up)
displays, menus, or AF lenses.  The F4 was pretty good, but the ASA
setting wheel could move, and did on one of my extended trips - wrecking
about 1/3 of the shots I took..  They have also begun to have had repaid
trouble with them, and I don't know how long Nikon will provide the
replacement modules for them.  When they stop you won't be able to fix
them.  The N90s just had too many buttons etc.

I might have kept the F4 if I could have put Leica lenses on it.  I don't
have my R8 yet, but it looks like it is what the F4 should have been
without the AF

BTW - the new cheaper Pentax SLRs have a lot of the features of the R8,
as does the Nikon N50 and they take decent pictures.

Lets see --about $ 9500 in the Leica R and Ms - a Nikon N50 and a couple
of zooms and a 50/1.4 - all for less than $ 1000.  Hmmmmm.

I better go to bed - too much rambling.

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK