Subject: Re: comments on the last 2 days(Meters/bags)
From: David Seifert <dseifert@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:21:26 -0700

At 08:46 AM 7/18/97 -0700, Jim Brick wrote:
>At 11:20 AM 7/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>

>>> I have a Lowell Omni light and a Lowell Tota light.  I like them.  They
>>> use 500w bulbs.  I do not know what household current will handle but I
>>>
>>The rule of thumb, watts divided by 10 gives approximate amps.  Most home
>>circuits are 15 amp (NOT EACH PLUG) and therefore 500w bulb is 5amp and
>>three could be used on single circuit with no other current draw.
>>
>>Steven
>
>I think you mean "divide by 100," not 10. A typo...
>
>Jim

Well, actually, that only works in North America where we use 110 Volt
electricity.  The actual formula for this is P=I*E where P is the power in
Watts, I is the inductance in Amps and E is the electromotive force in
Volts.  Given that, take the Watt rating of the device and divide it by the
power source voltage and the result will be the load in Amps.  This works
for battery powered things as well.

Sorry for the Electricity 101 lecture, but many of our list members are not
in North America and the information may be misleading.

Best Regards,

David Seifert
dseifert@earthlink.net