Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 19 Jul 97 19:10:18 EDT

Harrison wrote:

<<While autofocus is nice it is not essential.  Speaking from personal
experience I have shot as many, no more, good action shots with a manual
focus camera than I have using autofocus>>>

Harrison,

Me also! But I still use my R cameras for such things as professional and
international sports, Olympics, Pan Am Games and Commonwealth Games and I have
used the EOS1 with motor during one of the Olypmics, '92 Barcelona for some of
the events.

By comparison I have won more sports photography awards, for whatever that
means, with photographs taken by manual focus, than I have using autofocus.

Now this is not to say any thing negative about autofocus for sports as the
Canon system is quite frankly, awesome. I know I can't focus manually as fast as
the electronics, however experince and anticipation still give me somewhat of an
edge.

But it would be nice if the R8 had autofocus, however it isn't an all time
essential as you really only need autofocus for fast moving things!
And so far I've been doing pretty well for the past 40 years! :)

ted