Subject: Re: Broke Down & Bought a Leicaflex SL
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:48:17 -0700

At 10:29 AM 7/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>I was out with a photo buddy of mine this past Friday visiting a camera
>shop and I did something I thought I'd never do.  I bought a used chrome
>Leicaflex SL with 50mm Summicron lens.  Worse, I even charged it on a
>credit card.  I never use plastic to pay for camera gear.  I prefer the old
>fashion cash method. The dealer gives me a camera or lens and I hand over
>paper money.

The body will be sent
>out to Sherry this week at Golden Touch for her to perform some magic.  The
>50mm Summicron lens is in great shape.  If this Leicaflex SL works out, I
>can see a Leicaflex SL2 in my future as well.
>
>I also had an excuse for my wife.  Friday was our 21st wedding anniversary.
> So I guess the camera was a gift to myself.  At least that's what I told
>my wife.
>
>Richard

Richard,

As I'm sure you know, the Leicaflex and R cameras are outstanding. The
SINGLE thing I do not like about the SL (and others like it) is that the
screen is not changeable. The prism simulated rangefinder and microprism
stuff, to me, is really in the way. The prisms and microprism stuff goes
black when previewing DOF, using long lenses, or doing extreme close-ups.
If Sherry can change the screen, I'd highly recommend it. Either plain
ground glass or one with a light grid to help keep the horizon straight. I
would find out if Beattie 800-251-6333, Brightscreen 800-235-2451, or
Maxwell Precision Optics 404-244-0095, makes a screen that will fit in the
SL and if so, have Sherry put it in.

So what did your wife buy for herself???

Enjoy the SL,

Jim