Subject: Salgado in San Diego
From: CMUHLSTEIN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:51:25 -0400 (EDT)

I was fortunate to attend his presentation highlighted by 300 slides of new
work set to music. He is in San Diego photographing migrants along the
US/Mexican border. The 250 display prints are large; say, 16x20 and up.
Beautiful quality-superb tonal range-rich grain- a kind of 3 dimensional
feel. He is very sincere in questioning the future of the 4/5ths of the world
population who live in poverty. They are challenged by what many of us take
for granted. His b&w aesthetic amplifies his concern. I treated myself to his
book "Workers". Anyone planning a trip to Southern California should visit
the exhibit in La Jolla before the end of August. Leica should be proud of
its part in sponsoring his efforts.