Subject: R lenses & cams 101
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:57:35 -0700

At 10:30 PM 7/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>For the Leciaflex models, I think you want to make sure the later lenses
>aren't "3rd" cam only. I think only 2 cam or 3 cam lenses will work with
>the SL/SL2 (unless you add the earlier cams to a 3rd cam only lens, of
>course). If you are ever planning to step up to an R3-R8, you'll need
>the third cam. Also, the newest lenses with R8 contacts should not be
>used on the SL2, since they may cause damage to the body (ref: R8
>manual, p62).
>
>Chris Hoover
R lenses & cams 101:

Leica R lenses for Leicaflex cameras with external meter are single-cam
lenses (one axial cam.)

Leica R lenses for TTL meter Leicaflex cameras are two-cam lenses (two
axial cams.)

Leica R lenses for Leica-R cameras (R3 - R8) are three-cam lenses (two
axial & one rotational cam.)

You may use any Leicaflex or Leica R lens on any reflex body without worry
of damaging your camera or lens. Exception: p62 R8 manual.
 There are four lens versions: One axial
cam for use with the original Leicaflex (external metering), Two axial cams
for all Leicaflex cameras, Two axial & one rotational cam for use on all
Leicaflex and Leica R cameras, and a 50mm f/2 Summicron-R with only the
rotational cam, for use on the Leica R only. However, all reflex lenses
will work on any Leicaflex or Leica R camera body. If you use a one or two
cam lens on a Leica R body, you must stop down the lens to take a meter
reading. Otherwise the reading will be wrong. Likewise using a one cam lens
on a Leicaflex with TTL metering.

The above information came directly from "Applied Leica Technique" by
Gunter Osterloh, published by Umschau Verlag. The information is on pages
84 & 85. "If an R lens without rotational cam is used accidently on a Leica
R camera, it will produce incorrect exposure. But it does not cause any
physical damage to camera or lens."
A Leica R lens without a rotational cam is a Leicaflex lens.

Jim