Subject: Re: Collapsing Elmar catches on rangefinder roller
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:34:20 -0700

On 22 Jul 97,  Richard Clompus wrote:

<snip>

> I thought I was the only one who experienced this phenomenon.  I have a
> "new" (one year old) chrome 50mm Elmar I use with two M6 bodies.  My lens
> does the same thing.  I only contacts the rangefinder "roller" a wee
> little bit when the lens is retracted into the M body.  It has never
> gotten stuck.
>  Interestingly when I mount the same Elmar lens on my M3 body, it doesn't
> touch the roller at all.
>
> Must be the build specifications for the M6 camera.  It annoys me but is
> not a functional problem.  I guess Leica can't measure 1/1000's of a
> millimeter as well as they could back in the 1960's.

More than an annoyance if it were me! If this is truly the case, it is
inexcusable on Leica's part. The operator should not have to exercise
extreme caution when collapsing the lens if the combination has been given
Leica's blessing.

Leica has, at their website, a means of contacting the factory via email.
They're not super fast, but they will respond. I'd sure like to hear their
response to this.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything
      which is not prohibited is compulsory.