Subject: Re: first Slides from 35mm Asph Summilux
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:20:59 -0800

otto w. rath wrote:

>lens from Leitz. So much for trend-setters!
>I shall keep my old R4,R3 , SL2 and M 3 along with my prejudices, because
>so many posts about problems with batteries, rangefinder-displacement etc.
>on M6 confirm my suspicions, that they don't make them, like they used to.
>Serious collectors in Japan know it too.

Most things they don't make like they used to, and while I look back with
longing to some of them, most can stay in the/my past. My M6's take better
pictures than my M4's, M2's etc. because they allow me to meter better. If
I carried a separate meter, _it_ would have battery issues, or it would be
selenium (or actinometers or extinction meters) and unable to meter at
those times when I most need to.

They don't make lenses like they used to. My 35/1.4 asph. is a huge
improvement over the 35/1.4 I used to have, the 47/5.6 Super Angulon XL is
vastly better than the 65/6.8 Angulon I used to shoot with, and my Nikon
zooms are all better than the Voightlaender Zoomar I tried around 1960 or
so.

Cameras like the M6 have very little in the way of up to date features and
automation, and other of my cameras such as the Hasselblad SWC, Noblex,
Cambo Wide, and all other 4x5 stuff has even less, but there are things I
can do with my Nikons, especially the newer ones, that I can't with a Leica
(or a 4x5).

I have some older stuff, and if it gets the pictures I want, I use it, but
for the most part, the newer stuff is much better at helping me get the
shots I want.

Luckily, we all have choices. And, as Otto noted, collectors can and do
have criteria far removed from those that help you take pictures. :-)

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com