Subject: 70-180 vs. The World
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:07:38 -0400

All,

Am curious as to the opinions of some of the better equipped amongst
us...

The 70-180 Apo Elmarit is reputed to be one of the best lenses in the
world, fixed or zoom. Is it, really? Does it compare favorably against
the 1987 era 100 Macro Apo Elmarit as Leica claims? I'm particularly
curious about performance for those two lenses wide open at the same
(100) focal length at portrait distances.

One last thing: Is the zoom too big and heavy to hand-hold at slow
shutter speeds? I do a lot of available light shooting wide open and the
zoom appears massive and log-like in its heft. It is hand-holdable in
real-world practice?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland