Subject: Re: Collapsing Elmar catches on rangefinder roller
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 06:52:04 -0400

Shawn London asked:

<snip>Aside from the catching problem when retracting the lens, how pleased
are you with the performance of the 50 Elmar?  I'm tossing around picking
up a slightly longer lens to supplement my 35 Summicron, and the compact
size of the Elmar seems rather seductive.
<snip>

I have always thought that the M6 with a compact lens is the best way to
travel.  The two compact lenses I have owned were the 35mm Summicron (now
traded for the Summilux Asph) and the collapsable 50mm Elmarit (older
design).  I thought that the images made with the older Elmarit were OK but
not great.  When you focussed the lens, the aperture ring on the end of the
lens rotated with it.  Not very ergodynamic.

The new 50mm Elmarit is a wonderful lens.  It is light years ahead of the
older one.    I have the chrome version that is relatively heavy for a lens
of this size.  It must be the brass that Leica puts into the barrel and
focussing rings that are chrome plated.  It kind of looks interesting to
have a chrome lens on a black M6 body.

As good as the images are, they are not the same as the 50mm Summicron.
Those images are a step above most other lenses.  HCB must have figured
something out by using the 50mm on his Leica.  You won't be disappointed
with  this lens.  The black version is a bit lighter than the chrome one.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA