Subject: Re: Thanks...
From: garvik@groupenet.com (Oddmund Garvik)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:03:46

At 16:47 23/07/1997 -0700, you wrote:

>No, but the book-length poem "Another Life" by Derek Walcott might interest
>you. He explores the history of the Caribs and the Conquerors and his own
>identity.

Thanks for your information, Charlie! Do you know the name of the editor?

I am going to the West Indies next winter. Actually I have been living a
year at Guadeloupe, a French island just north of Dominica. My wife is
originally from Guadeloupe, and she has got some far away Carib ancestors
in addition to her ancestors of African slaves, and Indians of French
Guyana (Amazonas). I am doing this for our children as well. Identity is
important, even if our children's roots are suspended between Vikings and
Crusaders, and those mentioned above.

I hope my cameras will survive this trip. It's rather humid, you know...

Oddmund