Subject: Re: Fixer Question
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:01:27 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
> >
> >I don't see any advatage to use hardening fixer for film unless
> >you expect to give the negs some rough treatment later.
> >
> >For paper there is the disadvantage that you cannot tone hardened
> >prints.
>
> It doesn't take rough treatment to scratch an unhardened negative, and

Under normal darkroom conditions (reasonably clean, neg. sleeves
unless it's in the carrier etc.) I  don't see how you get them scratched.
I do my BW myself - perhaps if I'd be handing my negs to others I might
want to "insure" them.

> hardened prints CAN be toned.

Sometimes true. See the earlier good if somewhat garbled post. The
point is that hardening fixer limits you; with it you have to know in
the beginning of the printmaking which tone you definitely don't want.
I like to see the plain washed print before the tinting and have all
the options then.

Kari Eloranta