Subject: Re: M use
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:13:45 -0400

Ferdinand wrote:
<snip>
what about the camera reliability and durability and dependability ?? I
know my eos1n has been good as well as my hasselblad. Knock on wood.. no
problems with either system.
<snip>

The question about durability, quality control and reliability often comes
up when discussing Leica equipment.  I have read posts about a Leica M
camera being used for 30 years without any servicing.  I own two M6's.  The
first one purchased in 1994 needed servicing before it could be used.  The
rewind button wouldn't release.  A short trip back to Leica solved the
issue under warranty.  I was inconvenienced but that M6 has worked
perfectly since I gad the one adjustment done.  My most recent M6 (new 2
months ago) needs to have the rangefinder tweeked.  Its out of alignment.
Calling Nel Thorsen at Leica resulted in the invitation to come to the New
Jersey facility and they'll adjust it while I wait.  Very gratious of them.

Yes I know that when you pay upwards of $2000 for a body, it should work
the first time and every time but this stuff is mechanical.  And
adjustments may be needed periodically.  On the other hand, once the camera
works well, it takes a beating and continues to work.  Picking up a plastic
camera just doesn't do it for me anymore.

The Leica M is a real study in slow evolution of proven mechanical design
that you can give to your grandchildren.  It should still work 50 years
after you buy it.  Batteries come and go, integrated circuits come and go
but the mechanical Leica endures.  Nothings perfect but the Leica M is
highly evolved and long term performance is usually assured.

I use a $26,000 retinal camera in my office to photograph patient's
retinas.  It has worked flawlessly for the past three years.  Guess what
finally broke on it?  The motorized special 35mm Olympus film back.  They
cost $1000 and have no rangefinder system - only a film counter.  The Leica
M6 is a bargain compared to medical grade equipment. Now if I could only
justify a new R8 for the practice.  Let me think about that one...

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA