Subject: Re: M use
From: garvik@groupenet.com (Oddmund Garvik)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:21:44

Alors Lucien, on devient religieux?...

I don't understand why you start talking about F5, R8, comparing lenses,
apples and oranges. I was talking about the Leica M6 which is roughly a M3
from the fifties, with the addition of a simple light meter. Not really a
huge effort in R&D... You pay a hell of a lot for the name, for the red
logo. That's all!

You say that Leica is currently spending a lot of money in their R&D. All
big camera and lens producers do the same. We are living in a world of
"free enterprise". Only the fittest will survive... Leica make some good
lenses, but there are several out there... A good lens is a good lens, no
matter which brand it is.

You praise the collectors, pretending that without them, Leica would
probably not be alive. I don't think the esoteric Leicas and limited
series, and the fact that some fortunate collectors buy them, will help
Leica Camera to survive on a long term basis. These products will certainly
bring in some cash flow. But if Leica Camera doesn't introduce new,
interesting, trend setting products which is better, or at least as good as
the concurrence, they are bound to die. Today there seems to be some
weaknesses in the strategic thinking at the Leica headquarter. The
marketing department seems to be very powerful. Too powerful. Some products
are obviously launched in a hurry, not being "finished" products.

I am fond of high end point & shoot cameras, as you know. Leica introduced
a bastard of a Minilux some time ago. A good lens mounted on a bulky and
clumsy camera, with a useless viewfinder. A miserable product which has
nothing to do with that Leica feel and look we appreciate so much. A bad
copy of Contax and Nikon, that is what it was! Launched in a hurry, because
the marketing department found out that it was an interesting niche.

I wont mention the R8, as I don't know the camera, and also because I am
not really interested in SLR's. But from the few messages I have seen here,
there may be similar problems.

You are comparing a FM/FM2 with a M3... It doesn't make much sense for me,
but I understand your point. The M's is a complicated mechanical system of
levers, pivots, prisms and mirrors which can go out of adjustment far more
easily than the simpler FM/FM2. I am using an old Nikon FM when I have to,
and it works fine. I have had no problem, or repair on it during the 20
years I have been using it. On the contrary, my M's... In France, and in
all other countries I have visited, a used FM/FM2 outfit is much cheaper
than an equivalent Leica M equipment. I think nobody really doubts about that.

I think you are mixing a lot of things here, and that you reverse the
order. I don't find any argument against my main statement: "Leica Camera
are squeezing the juice out of a 50 years old lemon, riding upon a legend."
Leica is too expensive for what it is, including CLA, accessories, spare
parts etc. If Leica Camera thinks it is possible to continue making
"classic cameras for the rich", hallelujah. I think they misunderstand the
social and economical reality. Sales turnover of expensive, classic, high
end products is generally decreasing today. If they want to make expensive,
high end cameras for professionals, there must be a reasonable balance
between efficiency (specifications), quality and price.

The Leica M6 is certainly unique, a good camera, but not a great one. I
like my M4, sure. But now I am waiting for them to come out with a
synthesis of a small (about TVS size and form), modern rangefinder camera
with a manual f/2.8 24-50mm zoom lens, and why not fix lenses from 15mm
(Hologon) up to 90mm. With AF and AE, matrix and spot metering (-0.4EV up
to 17EV), with a real Leica viewfinder, and with manual overrides (manual
focus/metering). If they loose this battle, and introduce another bastard
(M5, Minilux...), half finished, marketing product, I will hate them
forever, and I will certainly not cry if they disappear.

Once again I will repeat to myself and to others: "Unfortunately the
*perfect* camera doesn't exist."

Oddmund