Subject: Re: M use
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:30:37 +0200

> But if Leica Camera doesn't introduce new,
> interesting, trend setting products which is better,
> or at least as good as the concurrence, they are bound to die.

I wonder if it is that simple? I think that lots of people are getting
tired of the fast change of models, with features noone asked for. Now I am
simplifying quite a bit, but it costs a lot of money to change electronic
cameras the same way as we change our computers.
The Leica niche, at least for the M, is to produce a camera with the basic
functions to deliver high quality pictures. As a matter of fact, I like the
idea of a camera that is so good, that it has survived since the first M3.
I also like to use the same camera  as in the 1970:s, because I am
nostalgic. Think about it Oddmund: If you are happy with the Leica, and buy
an M6, you will be able to use it for many many years. If you buy a trend
produduct, it will be obsolete in a few years.
At present, Leica seems to improve some of the M-lenses, and that is fine
by me.
(My wife is very concerned about enviromental issues. She has seen me using
M:s since we got married in 1974, and it is easier to bring home Leica
equipment than the latest Japanese innovations, that have a much shorter
life span...).

Regards, Hans

PS Oddmund, welcome back!
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se