Subject: M6 special editions
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 16:05:04 -0400

>>You praise the collectors, pretending that without them, Leica would
>>probably not be alive. I don't think the esoteric Leicas and limited
>>series, and the fact that some fortunate collectors buy them, will help
>>Leica Camera to survive on a long term basis.

I keep seeing posts blaming Leica for the limited edition M6 models. Most
of these cameras did not originate with Leica; Leica made them to order
for third parties who wanted to sell them to collectors. The
green-leather Colombus commemorative M6 was ordered by a large Italian
camera distributor; likewise the red leather "Year of the Rooster" M6,
the LHSA 25 year M6 + lenses set, the Royal Photographic Society M6, etc.

Leica did do a few of their own, like the M6J, and the M6 with a stock
certificate to commemorate their first stock issue, but most of them are
cameras they simply made to order for someone else.

I find these cameras annoying, but I'm sure that the occasional order for
2500 custom-built M6 bodies and lenses helps Leica pay the bills. What I
don't like is that they contribute to the Leica becoming a commodity to
be bought and sold for investment, instead of a camera.

- - Paul