Subject: Re: Prado 66 or Universal Question
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:33:52 -0700

> Does anybody have any iIde of where I can find a 6X6 slide carrier for
the
> Prado Universal projector?
>
> Lucian

Sorry, no ideas for you, but a question for the group re projectors: Does
anyone know why Leitz discontinued the RT300 projector that used Kodak
carousel trays? I owned a Zeiss projector once that used the standard
European straight tray. One accidental tip of the tray was enough for me.
As I picked up slides, I was already planning how to sell it. Now the only
Leica projectors use that same obnoxious tray. The RT300 is obviously
popular as evidenced by its high price on the used market - usually more
than a new Ektagraphic!

Now I have a pair of Kodak Medalists (aka model 4600) with dissolve unit
for programs. What really makes the setup stand out is also a pair of
Tamron projector lenses - f2.8 70-120mm zooms. They are VERY sharp and
certainly hold their own against a friend's RT300 with Leitz lens.

Actually I do have a Leitz projector - the old Model VIII with the large
base unit for the cooling fan (not the water cooled model). It has a Hektor
8.5cm lens. I recently found some 300 watt bulbs, but haven't tried it out
yet.  It is built like a tank and almost as big. In fact, since it's too
big to call a "collectible", I'd better start using it soon, just for fun
(or build an addition to the house w/ really big shelves).

Gary Todoroff