Subject: Re: R 9 Suggestion
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 21:38:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> But why doesn't it prevent light from reaching the film in the SL as it is?
> Probably, it moves out of the way when the shutter is fired. Maybe its
> linked to the main mirror and they both move together. If so, then adapting
> a real SL might be impossible- not that I think anyone is seriously
> suggesting that. With a pellicle mirror SLR camera such as the EOS RT, when

Yes, the design is such that the secondary mirror does move out of the way
along with the main mirror.  As for serious consideration, who knows? We
are a pretty varied group, and just  such a conversion was done on a Viso.

> The "R9 Stealth SLR" (as I will now call it ;-}) is a good idea; it could
> have a stationary pellicle mirror and a moving meter mirror and be only a
> little louder than the M6, as the RT is. The RT is quite a camera, and
> (apparently) a lot quieter than the EOS 1N RS. It certainly is in the same

I agree with you there.  I did once have the opportunity to handle one in
the showroom.  My own slr environment on which my comments are based is
Nikon which in the case of the manual focus bodies uses the mirror to
direct light up to a metering cell.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart