Subject: Re: An interesting camera
From: garvik@groupenet.com (Oddmund Garvik)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 06:40:19

On 26/07/1997, Chuck wrote:

>Someone on the Rollei list noted that the price is US$ 2,495.  A bit pricey
>for a P&S, don't you think?

Sure, it is too much, even if the camera is more than a simple point &
shoot. They announce the same price (14500 F) here in France BTW. Finally
we will have to wait and see if the Vario-Apogon HFT lens is good enough,
and the camera silent enough to be a Leica M equivalent (it will probably
be as noisy as the G1/G2). Anyway, I think they will have to adjust the
price a bit...

I don't understand why they absolutely had to make that 1/8000 s shutter
system. It seems to be another example of erroneous strategy. Why is it so
difficult to develop a reasonable compromise between a classic camera
design, and contemporary technology, and to keep it "affordable"? Why can't
they listen to photographers, instead of loosing their way into all kinds
of prestigious delirium? There is a need for a small, simple, discrete
(silent), fully automatic AND manual AF rangefinder camera with fast lenses
(between 20 and 90mm). Will we have to develop this camera ourselves? Or
wait for the engineers in Solms?

Oddmund