Subject: Re: Wetzlar/Solms Quality
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:15:19 -0600 (MDT)

>I am curious why you discontinued the serial #'s.  Seemed a good idea to
>me.
>
>Stephen Gandy

I thought so too. Someone here complained that I wasn't managing my web site
to their liking. What they failed to realize was that it was a gift of both
my time and my money. I don't require folks to suck up to me, but when they
whine about what I DO do, eh, well, it irks me.

Now about Solms - do you REALLY feel that they've turned out an inferior
camera in the M6? If so, why do mine work so well? When I look at and use my
new lenses, I feel that they are better constructed and better performing
than the old ones I use. Now, I realize that the DR Summi is a machined work
of art. Nothing they make today looks or feels like that one. But, agree or
not, the glass and mounts they make today are awesome. The bodies aren't too
bad either. I've owned and operated M3's, M4-P's, and now M6's - the 6's are
fine cameras. To say that they're not of "Leica quality" is horsehockey.
It's a myth. You could say that about anything, but until the proof comes  -
thirty or so years down the road - no one really knows how these cameras
will hold up to use.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds are no longer available
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm